All sires (AI or Natural) must have a DNA profile on file at the Canadian Hereford Association, in order that calves may be eligible for registration.
All ET calves must be DNA parentage tested, before registration.
All animals submitted for DNA testing will also be tested for Hypotrichosis, Dilutor and Idiopathic Epilepsy abnormalities with results published on the Canadian Hereford Association website.
First, please contact the CHA office with a list of your bulls (names/registration #s &/or tattos) in order to obtain pre-printed applications (which must accompany the hair).
Guidelines for PULLING hair:
- Pull hair samples from the tail switch. the hair must be CLEAN (free of fecal matter) and DRY. DO NOT CUT HAIR. Cut hair samples will not provide DNA for the tests.
- Pull the hair evenly and directly away from the tail so that the hair does not break.
- Pull approximately 40 to 50 hair roots (min 80 hairs for higher density tests).
- If you already have a DNA application from the CHA office: Place the hair in a straight line across the center area on the form, which is reserved for the hair samples. Keep the hair together with the roots to the left as indicated. DO NOT CURL the hair. Tape the center of the hair shafts with tape so that the hair stays in place. Storage: If you don't already have a DNA application and are planning to store teh sample, place tha hair in a paper envelope (not plastic), clearly identitified, store at room temperature in a dry location away from sunlight (i.e. filing cabinet)
- Fold the hair kit as you would a business letter and place the form into its individual envelope. Complete this process for each animal before proceeding to sample the next animal. Please ensure that hair from only one animal is included in each envelope since it is not possible for lab staff to detect any contamination which may occur. If you have several samples to send, put the individual envelopes into one larger one for mailing.
Fees are payable to the CHA and will now be invoiced when DNA applications are requested, rather than when the results are sent to memebers. ($40.00 + GST per sample).
We strongly recommend that if in the future, there is a possibility that semen will be drawn, that hair samples also be collected on both the sire and dam for parentage qualification (requirement for A.I. Sire Permitting bulls).